Mission and Values
The vision of St Matthews is that we believe that all students can learn at high levels in a Christ-centred, collaborative, inspiring and nurturing learning environment.
We are therefore committed to:
- a safe, inclusive and professional learning environment, and
- just and right relationships that recognise and respect the dignity of each individual.
- A uniform dress code reinforces in students a pride in their own appearance, instils recognition of themselves as an integral part of the school community, and assists in developing pride in representing their school. Issues of equality, health and safety, and expense are also factors that contribute to the establishment of the Dress Code.
- To promote equality amongst all students.
- To further develop a sense of pride in, and identification with our school.
- To provide durable clothing that is cost effective and practical for our school environment.
- To maintain and enhance the positive image of the school in the community.
- The school has developed a Dress Code that we believe provides choice for the students, allows for students to safely engage in the many varied school activities, and caters for the financial constraints of families.
- The Dress Code applies during school hours, while travelling to and from school, and when students are on school excursions.
- Summer and winter uniforms, as well as sports uniforms will be prescribed, and are required to be worn.
- One pair of stud earrings and sleepers worn in the ears for girls, plus watches are the only acceptable jewellery.
- Extreme hair colors (eg: coloured rinses) and/or extreme hairstyles (eg: spikes or mohawks) are not permitted.
- Other than clear nail polish, cosmetics may not be worn at school.
- The only headwear that is acceptable is the school hat, consistent with our Sunsmart policy. They must be worn outside at all times. Hats are not to be worn inside.
- The school office will operate a second hand uniform store for parents.
- The student Dress Code, including details of uniform items and places of purchase is available on the portal or through the office.
- Parents seeking exemptions to the Dress Code due to economic hardship must apply in writing to the Principal for consideration.